Aims of this project:
This project is designed to use 3-D printing and the cannybots platform to create a fun activity that help students learn about CAD and CAM as well as systems and control.
To create our CAD designs we are using a browser-based piece of software called tinkercad. There are many other pieces of 3-D software that are available, but I have found the way that tinkercad builds objects using primitives is really easy for our students to understand and create interesting designs.
1. Understanding the basics elements that make up the robot.
2. Forming a race team who will create, customise and race the robot against competitors.
3. Learn how to create basic 3-D models using tinkercad.
4. Coming up with ideas for a customised robot.
5. Creating a customise robot.
6. Designing a track for the robot the race on.
7. Organising a robot Grand Prix and declaring one team the winner.
So excited about this project. Kai (teacher at Wimbledon College, London) and his lead student Alex is using Cannybots to develop a new approach to STEM education - one that is based around Making & Play.
Alex already created a new Cannybot design of his own (doesn't the cannon look fab?!!)
Here is the pic of the original bare bone Cannybot design!
Hi, so we have been running our project for a few weeks and things are going well here is a brief break down of what the class has achieved so far. Once I have completed the project, I will see what works and what doesn't. I'll then post all the resources I have made, so that any one else wanting to give it a try can use what I have done has a spring board.
This started with us introducing the project, letting the pupils have a little bit of a play on the robots and explaining our objectives. Next the pupils completed a worksheet that asked them to try and identify the various parts that make up the robot. We then discussed each component as a class to ensure everyone had the right explanation for each component.
We then moved on to dividing the pupils up into workgroups. Once the race teams had been formed we then asked them to brainstorm some possible names for their racing team. Once the names have been decided upon, the pupils were then tasked with designing a few mascot ideas ready for us to 3-D model them next session.
This session was all about getting the pupils to understand the importance of 3-D modeling and CAD when using 3-D printing. It’s very easy to download a pre-made design and print it off but this soon becomes boring as it removes the creativity from the design process.
Getting students to understand virtual modeling can be quite challenging but we have found that using Tinkercad via a web browser allows them to practice at home and create virtual models very easily.
I showed them the basics on Tinkercad and asked them to complete the tutorials. They were then tasked with creating mascots for their racing teams. I did not give them much guidance on the limitations and capabilities of 3-D printers as I wanted to see them discover this first-hand through any failed prints.
After printing all their mascots we sat down and evaluated each one. We looked at which ones were successful and why? Which ones did not work and why? This led us then to draw up a list of rules and guidance to help them effectively design for 3-D printing.
The students were then tasked with recreating their designs but this time evaluating them before they are sent to the printer to ensure that they are going to print correctly. The students were looking for spindly bits, objects floating in space, areas not touching the build plate, if any sections needed to be divided into different components to be assembled after the print and how easy it would be to remove any support material.
We then printed these redesigned mascots and for most of the class their prints were vastly improved. We then moved on to designing the customised elements for the Cannybot racers. The students are customising the front bumpers, the wheels and the tops of the casings. The tops of the casings are where the students are keen to add spoilers, drivers and air scoops.
Our next session will involve us jumping onto the computers again to design the various components and test printing them to see if they fit and function correctly.
Here are the resources that I created this year during my Cannybots project. I have now got my hands on the latest iteration of the Cannybot and am building a new project for use at KS3 that will utilise the new bots improved capabilities. Will keep the community posted.
cannybot pp.pdf (1.0 MB)
Here are some printable rescouces to go with the presenation.
lesson 1.pdf (521.1 KB) Lesson 3.pdf (246.0 KB) lesson 4.pdf (300.9 KB)